Under the direct supervision of a Nurse Manager and/or Provider is responsible for:
- Performing phlebotomy functions and Leads phlebotomists in the Lab. Makes schedules, oversees flow of work, adjusts as needed.
- Maintaining adequate working knowledge of Laboratory procedures so that performance is consistently accurate and acceptable.
- Contributing to an efficient and safe laboratory environment to ensure the safety of one’s self and co-workers.
- Ensuring services meet clinic standards of excellence and the satisfaction of patients.
Depending upon specific assignment may perform any or all of the following duties:
- Greet customers appropriately. Treat all customers in a courteous manner
- Ensures all field phlebotomy and specimens are collected accurately and on time
- Collects specimens according to established procedures
- Responsible for completing requisitions accurately
- Call clients to confirm handwritten orders, verify test(s) ordered, obtain accurate billing information, i.e. diagnosis codes, UPIN information, etc.
- Research test/client information utilizing lab computer system
- Label, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order
- Package specimens for transport.
Maintains required records and documentation
- Reads, understands and complies with departmental policies, protocols and procedures: (i.e. Procedure Manuals, Safety Manual, Compliance Manual, Employee Handbook, Quality Assurance Manual).
- Maintains all appropriate Phlebotomy logs.
- Assist with compilation of monthly statistics and data. Submits data on time monthly.
- Perform basic clerical duties, i.e. filing, faxing, and preparing mail. Will be required to perform electronic data entry.
- Submit productivity reports as directed by management and on time.
Demonstrates organizational commitment
- Adheres to departmental and company code of grooming and dress code and lab coat appearing neat and clean at all times.
- Reports on time to work, following attendance guidelines.
- Answers the telephone in a friendly and helpful manner, by incorporating the company name, self-identification and a helpful statement.
- Communicates appropriately with clients, patients, coworkers and the general public.
- Communicates all unresolved problems immediately to the appropriate Manager, Supervisor, for resolution. Remains polite and courteous at all time.
Miscellaneous duties and responsibilities
Keeps work area neat and clean. Disposes of biohazard containers when scheduled.
- Help with inventories and other tasks as assigned.
- Stock supplies as needed.
- Performs other department-related clerical duties when assigned.
- Answers phone and dispatch calls when assigned.
- Participates on teams and special projects when asked.
Additional Responsiblities for the LEAD:
- Ensures facilities are neat, clean and in good repair, takes appropriate action to advise Group leader or Supervisor of required repairs and maintenance.
- Assist with periodic inventory counts, report shortages and problems to manager as they occur.
- Work effectively with staff employees to ensure compliance with dress code, Environmental Health and Safety & Quality Assurance requirements, customer service requirements and SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures), advising manager of any issues or problems as they arise. EHS & QA requirements, customer service requirements and SOP’s, advising supervisor of any issues or problems as they arise.
- Communicate professionally with clients and patients to resolve or refer, and document problems, prepare problem documentation and report critical issues as they occur.
- Assist manager with implementation of SOPs for phlebotomy services in accordance with company guidelines.
- Assist with distribution of technical information and communications to the work group.
- Coordinate compilation of monthly statistics and data.
- Assist with the preparation of schedules for the assigned work group.
- All other duties as assigned, within scope of the position.
- May be required to provide input to manager on occasion
- Ability and skills necessary to provide orientation and training to phlebotomists
- Phlebotomy 2-5 years inclusive of pediatric and geriatric venipuncture, capillary collections.
- Minimum 2 years verifiable experience as a Team Lead or supervisor.
- Keyboard/data entry application.
- Customer service in a service environment.
- Excellent phlebotomy skills to include pediatric and geriatric venipuncture, capillary collections.
- Must be flexible and available based on staffing requirements; Demonstrates good organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; is able to manage concerns of patients and employees in a professional manner.
- Capable of handling multiple priorities in a high volume setting.
- Excellent keyboard/data entry skills preferred.
- Demonstrated familiarity and compliance with all protocols, practices and procedures of Department.
- Must be able to make decisions based on established procedures and exercise good judgment. Seek manager’s guidance when appropriate.
- Cross-trains in other duties to provide support during absences, crisis situations or heavy workloads.
- Performs related duties as assigned by clinicians or supervisor.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Current Phlebotomy State certification from an accredited school
- Medical training helpful – medical assistant, paramedic. Medical terminology helpful
- Demonstrated ability to listen and communicate with others in a professional and caring manner including sensitivity with individuals from diverse cultures and lifestyles
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities for tasks to work effectively in spite of interruptions and under minimal supervision. Self-starter, reliable and dependable
- Demonstrated proficiency with the electronic health record database within three months of attending training session(s)
- Fluency in written and spoken English/Spanish
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with staff members, patients and clinicians
- Flexibility to deal effectively with changes in work schedules and sites